I choose Ascension Island because I had never heard of it and it is a volcanic island.
First of all here are some of the main facts on Ascension Island.
Map of Ascension Island
The island has an estimated population of 940 people and it’s capital is Georgetown. It’s currency is a Saint Helena Pound (S.H.P.) and like New Zealand the main language is English. It’s neighbouring countries are Brazil (South America), St Helena,and Angola (Africa). The Island is named after the day it was discovered, Ascension Day. Its time zone is UTC+0, which means it has the same day time as England.
Also here are some more facts that interest me. So here they are:-
1. It is believed that the Galician explorer Joao De Nova was the first to find Ascension Island in 1501.
2. There is no native or permanent population on this Island, although as of 2010 there is around 900 people living there.
3. Ascension Island has one of the five ground antennas that assist in the operations of the Global Positioning System (G.P.S) navigational system.
4. Ascension Islands runway was extended and widened so that it could be used as an emergency runway for the Space Shuttle.
5. In 1967 NASA established a deep space monitoring station on the island but has since abandoned it.
Last but not least, three places I want to go to, if I went to Ascension Island.
1. First I would like to go to the volcanic peak along with the lava flows and cinder cones, because I would like to experience them all and to look down the volcanoe’s crater.
2. I would also like to go to the beaches, because I would like to see the protected green turtles that come ashore to lay their eggs from November to May.
3. The third place would be Boatswain Bird Island, just of the east coast of the main island, because I would like to see all the different endangered birds.
So here’s my post on Ascension Island, I hope you enjoyed reading it and learnt something new.