Bree's Brilliant Blog.

Its My Life

Axolotls – my A word, the 2nd part for the August Challenge

| 2 Comments

I choose Axolotls as my A word because I have never heard of a walking fish and it sounded kind of interesting. Here are some facts I have learnt.

1. Axolotls are referred to by Australians and New Zealanders as ‘The Mexican Walking Fish’.

2. They are not a fish but an anphibian, which means they can live in water and on land.

3. They can be a variety of colours, wild Axolotls are a near black colour.

4. As of 2008 the Axolotls are near extinction due to the growth of Mexico City and the populated water. Also nonnative fish have been introduced and they eat the young Axolotls.

5. They live in Mexico, in both Lake Xochimilco and Lake Chalco.

6. An Axolotl has the ability to regenerate (regrow) limbs.

7. They remain in their larval form which means it retains it’s gill and fins and does not develop eyelids.

2 Comments

1. Hi, I love your report about Axolotis. You have provided some great information, as well as excellent choice of pictures to go with it.
    I will be using your post to show my grade an example of what a great post looks like – keep up the great work,

Sam, teacher from Australia

2. Once again, Well Done for looking for something you knew nothing about. I love Axolotsls as they look so strange and they can be so diverse. I hope they do not become extinct. 🙁 Mummy